Wednesday, September 10, 2008

They Come in Threes

The angel of death definitely visited our unit last night.  I am not what you would call superstitious, but I have noticed, as has everyone else, that we can go a very long time without a death in the unit, but if someone is going to mayday, watch out for 2 more to go down as well.   We all tend to say, "Watch out!  You know it comes in threes."  Well, isn't that the truth?  Thank goodness I got out of the unit this morning before having to assist in coding our 3rd patient of the night, who had a blood gas that was incompatible with life.  How she still had a heart beat, I will never know.  

Apparently other things come in threes in our unit as well, such as the 3 "big whigs" (the president, CEO, & CNO) in the black trench coats, sunglasses, and funny hats who parade into the unit to bestow awards upon unsuspecting staff who have done a good enough job to be recognized in some form or fashion.  The ceremony is called a "Mission Accomplished."  It is a way for the hospital staff to recognize each other for fulfilling the hospital's mission statement.  And it is VERY embarrassing, but in a good way (except for the part where they take your picture).  

 When I heard the mission impossible music heading my way, I prayed it wasn't for me, but it was.  I thought, "Oh no!"  I felt the rush of blood to my head and I knew the flush of embarrassment had set in!  Thankfully, the mortification process didn't last very long, and I walked away from it feeling all warm and fuzzy about the good things a doctor had told my manager.  Recognition from a doctor makes me feel like I really AM doing a good job.  It also makes me realize how I have impacted a patient's life as well.   Who was the patient, you may be asking yourself?  The emergency craniotomy that kept me oh so busy last week.  Totally worth it!  

2 comments:

Emilie said...

congrats! See - you totally deserved to feel so proud of yourself!

magicdaisy said...

you totally need to write about the emergency craniotomy. Did you already do that?