Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Problem With Being a Nurse

In the past few months, I have been extremely blessed, beyond normal measure.  I was offered a new position in a rockin' hospital close to home, making more money in a community with a lesser average cost of living set before me.  I have received authorization to test for my critical care certification at a time when I actually have time to study.  There will be no gap in important things, like insurance coverage or paychecks.  The timing of events really has been perfect, for all intents and purposes.  

Unfortunately, life isn't always as it ought to be.  Circumstances can't remain perfect all the time, and I find myself needing to cling to God more through these "calms before the storms."  The problem with being a nurse is the inability to shut it off.  What happens when someone in the family is ill?  Everyone calls the nurse (or doctor) in the family to help sort through the medical jargon.   She then picks herself up and overextends her limits trying to fix the problem.  Perhaps trying to do it all herself because honestly, who could do a better job anyway?  

This is the predicament plaguing my future.  How do I take care of myself, love my career, and still have enough "caring" left to spare at the end of my day, when I'm needed by people such as my father who may no longer be able to care for himself?  How should I handle my feelings of anger, disappointment, disdain, and frustration for being placed in the position of responsibility?  I don't want to pick up the pieces to anyone's broken life.  I do it for people I don't even know every day and for a paycheck.  How do I protect myself from feelings of guilt and inadequacy?   How do I protect myself from burn-out? 

Even though things are rough right now, I am very hopeful a way exists for me to find balance and peace in my life.  At least he's pleasantly confused at this point.  Perhaps he'll be my muse for good blog stories.  Everything happens for a reason.  Isn't that what they say?  


1 comment:

magicdaisy said...

ummm... the english teacher in me, says you should know
"for all intensive purposes... "

is really the phrase "for all intents and purposes."